Tracking

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

National Running Day

In honor of the first annual National Running Day, I figured I would blog about the things I miss most about running since I am on the injured reserve list at the moment. Quick update on the hip. I am still experiencing pain on the outer side of my hip and in the groin area. I have been told this is due to bursitis and have been taking anti-inflammatory medicine and doing some physical therapy exercises. I don't think the physical therapy is helping much at the moment, but only time will tell I guess.

Here is what I miss most about running, in no particular order:

  • the feeling of accomplishment after a hard run
  • music - the best time for listening to my iPod
  • smiling and saying hi to other runners on the road
  • the routine - i miss the scheduled runs during the week
  • motivation - running makes me motivated and energized
  • good nights of sleep - i sleep like a baby after a good hard day of running
  • food - i miss being able to eat the carbs i love so much and not have to worry about it
  • the feeling of being healthy and in shape - even though i was still heavier than i was last year at this time, i felt healthier than i ever had in my entire life when i was training
  • the feeling of exhaustion just before you hit your high
  • the high you feel after you bust through that next level in your long run
  • sharing training ideas, workouts, and stories with other runners
  • the sweat - i miss being soaked and tired - the feeling of success
  • races - although i have only done 3 in my short "career", they are worth the effort
  • setting new personal records and continuing to improve
  • finally, i miss the sense of peace i receive after running. it is very therapeutic
I know my running love is rather new and is still in its honeymoon phase. It does not discount how much I miss doing it. I want to run. I need to run. It's a disease I caught this year that has motivated me to set some very lofty goals for the future. I will outline those in another blog. I see the healthiest, most productive years of my life ahead of me. It's exciting and I look forward to the challenge. Now I just need to get back on track and get this injury behind me. Hopefully only a few more weeks. I have been a good boy and have resisted the urge to run. Until next time, go out and have a run for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment